Our History

pumpjack

Since 1953, we’ve been helping owners get more from their wells.

In 1953, the Lanzhou Petroleum & Chemical Machinery Works (LPCMW) was established, specializing in the manufacturing of oil drilling and production machinery. LS, short for Lan-Shi or Lanzhou Petroleum, is the short name of LPCMW and became the identifying brand for LS products.

1970

In the mid 1970s, LS purchased technology from United States’ National Corporation in order to become more competitive in the world marketplace. As part of the purchase, LS gained pumping unit designs that led directly to the general appearance of today’s LS pumping unit.

During the oil crisis later in the 1970s, we exported our first pumping units to the United States under the brand names NPS and HEC. Thirty years later, nearly a thousand NPS and HEC pumping units are still in operation.

1980s

In 1985, Darco, a U.S. corporation, was awarded marketing rights to the LS pumping unit and the brand name was changed to Darco LS. Four years later, LS established LS Trading Corp. in Walnut, CA, to better serve customers internationally.

1990s

LS and Darco expanded dramatically during the 1990s opening new markets and expanding pumping unit sales into South America, Africa, and the Middle East.

During this decade, LS introduced the western world to Double Circular Arc gears, its most innovative technology to date, getting the attention of prominent gear experts around the world. DCA gear teeth used in LS pumping units enable more efficient tooth-to-tooth load transmission within the gearbox, allowing for greater gearbox torque capacity compared to same-size involute tooth gear reducers.

In 1998, LS Trading was renamed LS Petrochem Equipment Corp. and the LS pumping unit was finally rebranded to its original name, the LS Pumpjack.

2000s

In the early 2000s LS Petrochem continued to take a technology leadership role in the pumping unit market, introducing Enhanced Geometry (RM) pumping units to compete against API Class III geometry pumping units. By the time LS Petrochem celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2003, rising oil prices created a growth market that boosted sales and enabled the company to rapidly expand its manufacturing capacity.

2005-2006 brought challenges for the company as rapid expansion and infrastructure build-up for the Beijing Olympics created a shortage of steel in China. During the same time period, several LS Petrochem subcontractors began using our designs to manufacture their own pumping units and market them under their own brand names. The new units created confusion in the marketplace. In spite of these challenges, LS Petrochem reached a long-time goal by shipping our twenty-thousandth unit.

In 2007, LS Petrochem Equipment Corp. purchased a new warehouse on two acres in Houston, TX. The new space would conveniently stock pumping unit spare parts and provide work space for LS applications engineering and international sales and marketing. The new warehouse enabled us to create a custom-built, state-of-the-art database and management system to fulfill orders for spare parts throughout the country.

In 2009, LS Petrochem Equipment Corp. purchased controlling interest in the LS pumping unit manufacturing plant from our parent corporation, LPCMW. We immediately made a multi-million dollar re-investment on improvements to the manufacturing plant. The buyout put LS Petrochem Equipment Corp. solidly in control of product design and LS brand management. Controlling all aspects of design through delivery gives us the ability to rapidly adjust to changing customer requirements and market demands, while restricting unauthorized duplication of LS intellectual property.